Mountain Oysters (1862)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri May 7 01:20:27 UTC 2004

    In July 2003, the OED impressed me here with its testicles:

On Sun, Jul 06, 2003 at 04:21:09PM -0400, Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
>    DARE has 1890 for "mountain oyster."
>>>    11 December 1881, DAILY MINER (Butte, Montana), pg. 7?, col. 1
:>    Mountain oysters at Arcade sample rooms.

Yet OED3, despite being "horrible, just horrible," on food terms, somehow has
1865. Your turn again!

JTS

   I've been re-checking the progress of Colorado's Historic Newspaper
Collection, and I'm proud to say that I now discovered that I have better balls:

http://gunnison.aclin.org/archive/Skins/CHNC02/navigator.asp?skin=CHNC02&
BP=OK
    10 May 1862, ROCKY MOUNTAIN NEWS WEEKLY (Denver), pg. 4:
   The folks boarding at some of our "first-class hotels," these later days
are growing very fastidious in their choice of "grub."  Two or three years ago,
they thought they were "in luck" to run against a board with bread and beans,
and exclaimed "bully!"  Yesterday a gentleman at a dinner table complacently
ordered the waiter to fetch him "some soused eels' feet and a dozen mountain
oysters!"