Abu Graib

Peter A. McGraw pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU
Tue May 25 20:50:43 UTC 2004

Aha!  So in his speech to the National War College (and broadcast live by
NPR) yesterday, the president wasn't just being inept.  I mean, he was
being inept, but not JUST being inept.  When he first came to the word, he
hesitated, producing something like [aebu g at ...rEp].  Then the next two
times he settled comfortably into [aebu g at rab].  The speech writer must
have had a "fact checker" check into the correct pronunciation and
transcribe the prescribed two-syllable form in a way he hoped would make it
come out right.  You can hardly fault the fact checker if it didn't work.

Peter Mc.

--On Tuesday, May 25, 2004 12:17 PM -0700 "Allen D. Maberry"