Iced Tea (again); Proquest through SABR!

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun May 30 03:30:13 UTC 2004

   Greetings to anyone first joining this list after reading William Safire's column in Sunday's New York Times Magazine.
   My name is Barry Popik.  I eat every food that I write about and I weigh 5,000 pounds.  I work at a wonderful job in the Bronx, New York, and I'm currently married to Jennifer Lopez.  I'm loaded with money and, if you're an ADS member, I'll gladly pay the mortgage to your house.

ICED TEA (AGAIN)

   Is there some law that people who write for newspapers have to pass along incorrect information, forever?
   From Sunday's NEW YORK POST, 30 May 2004, pg. 108, col. 2:

   During the 1904 World's Fair, an enterprising Brit poured hot tea over ice cubes to lure revelers to his booth, and iced tea was born.

("Ice tea" and "iced tea" and much more is in the ADS-L archives--ed.)

PROQUEST THROUGH SABR!

   The Proquest Historical Newspapers Chicago Tribune digitization is still not at NYU.  I didn't see it even at the University of Chicago library.
   I checked around further, and the SABR deal is a "steal" (as they sometimes say in baseball).  Fifty dollars a year for several historical newspaper databases that you can search from home.  It also looks like the Chicago Tribune is available there right now.  Holy cow:

http://www.sabr.org/sabr.cfm?a=cms,c,766,40

SABR Adds The Chicago Tribune to its ProQuest Lineup
By John Zajc

Cleveland, Ohio – The Society for American Baseball Research (SABR) has added The Chicago Tribune to its lineup of research tools available to members only, joining three other  ProQuest Historical Newspapers (The New York Times, Washington Post and Los Angeles Times).

SABR has purchased an institutional subscription allowing all 2004 SABR members to log on to the “members-only” website and have remote access to text searches of the newspapers mentioned above.

To demonstrate the power of this as a tool to baseball researchers, within 24 hours members of the SABR Biographical Research Committee were chasing down fresh leads on major leaguers vital statistics. There is more confirmation needed, and cross-checking to be done, but Peter Morris believes he has found that Hughie Reed did not die in 1883 as previously listed, but rather in December of 1928. Reed appeared in one major league game in 1874.

Becoming a member is easy and SABR memberships are open to anyone with a passion for the game of baseball. To take advantage of SABR’s great member benefits, (1) you can sign up by credit card online at http://store.sabr.org (2) call the membership office at 1-800-969-7227, (3) or send us your payment with a completed membership application. For more information or a membership application form, contact the SABR office.

Regular SABR membership dues are $50 dollars or $140 for three years (membership is based on the calendar year, but there is a three-month grace period for renewal). International, senior and student rates are available as well. Among the many benefits, members receive access to our online SABR membership directory listing most members, their research interests, expertise, and contact information. Members also receive our annual research publications (The Baseball Research Journal and The National Pastime) in addition to many other benefits including SABR’s newsletter printed 6 times a year.

SABR (pronounced “Saber”) is an international organization headquartered in Cleveland, OH. The Society's mission is to foster the study of baseball, to assist in developing and maintaining the history of the game, to facilitate the dissemination of baseball research and to stimulate interest in baseball.

###

Created On: 05.21.04

(That's about a week ago--ed.)