Iced Tea (again); Proquest through SABR!

Sam Clements SClements at NEO.RR.COM
Sun May 30 03:45:26 UTC 2004

Barry,

I did my best to publicize your inhuman working conditions.  Jesse seems to
be a soul-mate of yours.

You done good when you posted about the SABR/Proquest link.  If true, and
I'm going over there now to find out, it's a bargain.

You are truly a very unselfish individual, even though you are trying to
out-Job Job.  I prefer to thinkof you as our version of Rodney Dangerfield.

Love you,

Sam Clements
----- Original Message -----
From: <Bapopik at AOL.COM>
To: <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Sent: Saturday, May 29, 2004 11:30 PM
Subject: Iced Tea (again); Proquest through SABR!

>    Greetings to anyone first joining this list after reading William
Safire's column in Sunday's New York Times Magazine.
>    My name is Barry Popik.  I eat every food that I write about and I
weigh 5,000 pounds.  I work at a wonderful job in the Bronx, New York, and
I'm currently married to Jennifer Lopez.  I'm loaded with money and, if
you're an ADS member, I'll gladly pay the mortgage to your house.

> PROQUEST THROUGH SABR!
>
>    The Proquest Historical Newspapers Chicago Tribune digitization is
still not at NYU.  I didn't see it even at the University of Chicago
library.
>    I checked around further, and the SABR deal is a "steal" (as they
sometimes say in baseball).  Fifty dollars a year for several historical
newspaper databases that you can search from home.  It also looks like the
Chicago Tribune is available there right now.  Holy cow:

> http://www.sabr.org/sabr.cfm?a=cms,c,766,40
>
> SABR Adds The Chicago Tribune to its ProQuest Lineup
> By John Zajc
>
> Cleveland, Ohio – The Society for American Baseball Research (SABR) has
added The Chicago Tribune to its lineup of research tools available to
members only, joining three other  ProQuest Historical Newspapers (The New
York Times, Washington Post and Los Angeles Times).

> SABR has purchased an institutional subscription allowing all 2004 SABR
members to log on to the “members-only” website and have remote access to
text searches of the newspapers mentioned above.

> To demonstrate the power of this as a tool to baseball researchers, within
24 hours members of the SABR Biographical Research Committee were chasing
down fresh leads on major leaguers vital statistics. There is more
confirmation needed, and cross-checking to be done, but Peter Morris
believes he has found that Hughie Reed did not die in 1883 as previously
listed, but rather in December of 1928. Reed appeared in one major league
game in 1874.

> Becoming a member is easy and SABR memberships are open to anyone with a
passion for the game of baseball. To take advantage of SABR’s great member
benefits, (1) you can sign up by credit card online at http://store.sabr.org
(2) call the membership office at 1-800-969-7227, (3) or send us your
payment with a completed membership application. For more information or a
membership application form, contact the SABR office.

> Regular SABR membership dues are $50 dollars or $140 for three years
(membership is based on the calendar year, but there is a three-month grace
period for renewal). International, senior and student rates are available
as well. Among the many benefits, members receive access to our online SABR
membership directory listing most members, their research interests,
expertise, and contact information. Members also receive our annual research
publications (The Baseball Research Journal and The National Pastime) in
addition to many other benefits including SABR’s newsletter printed 6 times
a year.

> SABR (pronounced “Saber”) is an international organization headquartered
in Cleveland, OH. The Society's mission is to foster the study of baseball,
to assist in developing and maintaining the history of the game, to
facilitate the dissemination of baseball research and to stimulate interest
in baseball.