What is that gesture called?

sagehen sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM
Tue Nov 2 01:40:30 UTC 2004

>The clenched fist pulled downward, usually accompanied by an emphatic
>"Yess!!"
 ~~~~~~~~~~
I don't know what light it might throw on the term for it, but one
application of this gesture used to be seen in street demos where there
were signs "Honk for ______" ("Choice," as it might be, or "Peace.")  Semi
drivers operating their air horns apparently with some overhead apparatus
made the gesture &/or we would prompt them to with the gesture.
The double pump went with the expression "Hubba hubba!" back in the '40s,
according to my husband, especially in sports contexts.
A. Murie

A&M Murie
N. Bangor NY
sagehen at westelcom.com