"Dred" Scott

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Mon Nov 8 03:53:41 UTC 2004

Years ago, I read somewhere or other that Dred Scott's name was
actually "Great" Scott. The spelling "Dred" merely reflected the
pronunciation of "great" as was the norm in the BE of that time and
place. Whether this be true, I have no idea. But anyone who listens to
the song, Grinder Man, by John Lee Hooker (available in album form at
nearly any record shop) can hear for himself that the blues man clearly
pronounces "grinder man" as mutatis mutandis "drinder man."

-Wilson Gray