Roti John

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Nov 11 07:02:57 UTC 2004

O.T., MISC.

So I wake up, take a shower, and I'm about to go to work when the phone
rings. It's Victory Memorial Hospital getting back to me. And I say to them, a man
is 91 years old, he lives in a nursing home, he's been to this hospital six
times, and nobody figures out that he might die and have to be buried? He left
no instructions to anyone?

The hospital had no information at all, just my phone number.

He spent all this time on poetry, and he couldn't have helped me out here?
This will have to go to the courts for six months just to bury him?

So I go to work. The clock on the wall has the wrong time. Fall back. Over a
week ago. No one changes the clocks.

Then, I use the date/time stamp. It says November 9th. I get that changed.
The time was off and didn't move, but that can't be changed.

I usually get assigned to the coffin room, a small, illegal area without
windows or emergency exits or fresh air. There is a fan. I notice that it's now
broken. The room is sweltering from the heat system. You wouldn't want a dog to
sit in a place like this for ten minutes. "There's no other fan," I'm told.
"You don't need a fan. Welcome back!"

The computer asks me to change three passwords. The city's awful computer
system (parking tickets is about as simple as things come) breaks down. I re-boot
the system. It breaks down again. I re-boot the system. It breaks down again.
This happens all day.

"Volume has picked up since after the election," I'm told. "We're getting out
of here after 7 p.m. again." Which means 8:30 a.m.-7 p.m., with a half-hour
lunch.

"It's good you didn't quit. Your mother would want to see you do this. Did
you have a nice vacation?"

ROTI JOHN--1,280 Google hits, 53 Google Groups hits
(not in OED)

(GOOGLE)
Roti John... Roti John. ... John! So my father named this dish Roti John!"
explained Norhayati,
daughter of Shukor, who created Roti John in the 1970s. ...
www.chennaionline.com/food/recipes/recipes14.asp - 29k - Cached - Similar
pages
The foreigners would always ask him to fry up an onion omelette, which they
would eat with a side order of bread. They ate so much of it, and so often,
that Shunkor decided to create a "two-in-one" dish for them. He added the bread
as the omelette was cooking, and the result was a delicious omelette-topped
slab of French bread, which came with a special-chilli sauce.

It went down well with the foreign clientele, and the locals, and Shukor
needed a name for it. Since it had been created for foreigners, it was named after
them too.

"In those days, we addressed all ang mohs (foreigners) as John! John! So my
father named this dish Roti John!" explained Norhayati, daughter of Shukor, who
created Roti John in the 1970s.And the rest, as they say, is history.

MALAY FOOD
... On the other hand, Roti John (John’s Bread) was said to have been
inspired by a
homesick tourist named John who, so the story goes, was in search of a ...
library.thinkquest.org/11518/food/malay.htm - 5k - Cached - Similar pages
In Singapore, the highlight of Malay cuisine is Satay, thought by some to
have been derived from the Arab ‘kebah’ but with a character all its own. Satay
has even spawned two Chinese versions: Satay Chelop and Nonya Pork Satay as
well as the hawker dish Satay Bee Hoon.

On the other hand, Roti John (John’s Bread) was said to have been inspired by
a homesick tourist named John who, so the story goes, was in search of a
sandwich. a helpful hawker sliced up a loaf of French bread, clapped in a mixture
of minced mutton and onion and dipped the whole in beaten egg which he fried
until crisp. If the tourist named John was bemused, locals took to Roti John
and it is now a staple at Muslim food stalls. It is more likely, however, that
Roti John is an adaptation of Murtabak, an Indian Muslim dish which is the
Asian answer to Italian pizza.

Loca Favourities
... Roti John A local Malay delight, Roti John is made by halving long bread
then spreading
eggs and cooked delectable minced mutton over the two halves before ...
www.newasia-singapore.gen.in/food/local.html - 5k - Cached - Similar pages

[PDF] Food in Malaysia
File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat
Your browser may not have a PDF reader available. Google recommends visiting
our text version of this document.
... Food in Malacca Page 5 of 5 http://www.hotelreservation.com.my/food.htm
7/4/04 OTHER
GOOD FOOD Roti John Putri Erra Roti John, Food court next to the old ...
www.tourism-melaka.com/MelakaFoodGuide.pdf - Similar pages

BruDirect - Tourist Info
... They're as delicious as those you'll find in established fast food
outlets.
Or try out 'Roti John'-the Malay version of the Big Mac. ...
www.brudirect.com/BruneiInfo/ info/brudirect__TourInfo.htm - 27k - Cached -
Similar pages

A City for the Senses
... Rumor had it that the adjoining Taman Serasi Food Center, a collection of
stalls
famous for roti john (crisp egg, onion and minced lamb omelets with chile
sauce ...
www.latimes.com/la-031702singapore,0,574355.story - Similar pages

Singapore unofficial food ...Mee Goreng
... Now if anyone has a good recipe for Roti John or 'John Bread' please send
that to
me, its my next big craving! Good Luck Jay. Contributed by - Jay ...
www.makantime.com/others1.htm - 5k - Cached - Similar pages

Best Food in Singapore
... Prawn Noodle: Yi Sheng at Hawker Center next to Safra Bukit Merah behind
IKEA.
Roti John: Shukor stall No. 9 Taman Serasi Food Center. ...
www.geocities.com/Tokyo/ Courtyard/9049/singapore/food.htm - 7k - Cached -
Similar pages

Catcha Singapore - Maps
... to both tourists and locals. Other types of food worth trying are Mee
Goreng,
Roti John and Murtabak. Open on Mondays to Fridays ...
www1.catcha.com.sg/content. phtml?15&010&&eatsatay1.txt - 19k - Cached -
Similar pages

Sprinting through Singapore
... You’d be spoilt for choice from the satay (barbequed skewered meat on
sticks) and
mee goreng (fried noodles) to roti John (pan-fried baguette with egg and ...
www.expatsingapore.com/sprinting.htm - 13k - Cached - Similar pages

Get For Me Singapore A LAST LOOK AT TAMAN SERASI HAWKER CENTRE ...
... This means that the hawker centre where the island's best roti-john is to
be found
will exist no more, except in print in our history books and here on the ...
www.getforme.com/previous220801_ ALastLookAtTamanSerasiHawkerCentre.htm - 86k
- Cached - Similar pages

Singapore Hotels - Short stopover for those who have only one or ...
... This sprawling food centre will allow you to sample some unique dishes
such as Indian
roti john and murtabak, Hokkien popiah, spicy sambal stingray and Malay ...
www-singapore.com/shortstopover/culturevulture.html - 39k - Cached - Similar
pages

Asia : Southeast Asia : Singapore : In Depth : Food & Drink
... peanut sauce. Another popular dish is roti john, minced mutton and onion
in French bread that’s dipped in egg and fried. Nasi ...
www.frommers.com/destinations/singapore/0077020880.html - 40k - Cached -
Similar pages

(GOOGLE GROUPS)