wag 'carry/lug/haul'

Mon Nov 15 16:36:07 UTC 2004

A friend from, I think, North Carolina, uses the verb "wag" in a way I've
never seen before and can't find in OED or Merriam-Webster. She puts it in
scare quotes, suggesting that she considers it a slang or dialect usage. It
occurs to me (as a WAG :-)) that it could be a back formation from "wagon".

Note that she uses the verb twice in this paragraph, scare-quoted only the
first time.

> I was thinking about asking you about the parking situation at your house.
> I can fly, but I'd rather drive.  If you have parking space at your house,
> I could leave my car there and then "wag" my stuff via the trolley/subway
> to your house.  The cost to park at the hotel is outrageous.  Now if Mark
> could come and meet us to wag our stuff on occasion, especially at the end
> of convention, that would be wonderful!!!

-- Mark A. Mandel
[This text prepared with Dragon NaturallySpeaking.]