more on heads, brains, and skulls

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Nov 15 19:44:06 UTC 2004

1)  Watch (perhaps) for next weekend's "On Language" column in the
NYT Magazine.

2)  Following our discussion of the metonymy of "get brain" (and the
metaphor of "hanging brains") in class today, one student volunteered
"get dome" as a related expression from rap songs.  (Well, another
student brought up "get medulla", but he confessed he was just
jivin'.)  I just checked google and sure enough, while there aren't a
huge number of relevant hits, there was one supporting his datum.
(As against the "skull" version, this involves metaphor rather than
second-order metonymy I take it--and do we know whether the dome is
associated with the shape of brains or of other body parts?)  I
assume that "give dome" is also possible, but I didn't locate any
instances.

larry

P.S.  I infer from this and other posting that "-cc" for "-ck" is
part of the conventionalized orthography in this genre (along with
the -z plural and "u" for the second person); lots of instances of
"dicc", for example.

===============================
http://www.raptalk.net/bb/showthread.php?t=4805&page=3

01-20-2003, 10:18 AM
MistaDrawmuh
Mr. Arrogant

i use to never go down town........ but now, i graduated with a 4.0
from TWATLICC ACADAMY...... im puerto rican, i got big lips n a big
tongue, i cant help but use em...

i use to always get dome ..... andthen go str8 to fuccn..... but now,
i licc it first..... liccin it first gets u better dome, she wana
give u what u gave her......