"di?nt" (with glottal stop)

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Wed Nov 17 02:05:42 UTC 2004

On Nov 16, 2004, at 5:09 PM, Beverly Flanigan wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Beverly Flanigan <flanigan at OHIOU.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: "di?nt" (with glottal stop)
> --------
>
> As Wilson knows, I lived in St. Louis for 10 years (in the '60s), but
> alas,
> I was so cocooned by St. Louis U and Wash U (as we called it) that I
> didn't
> really tune into the local dialect(s).   But I do recall "No I never"
> from
> somewhere during that era.  I was struck by my distant cousins' use of
> "sody pop" on the other side of the river, in Collinsville

During my four years of high school, the Collinsville High School
Cahoks (rhymes with "Jayhawks," i.e. "Cayhawks"; people said that, if
Collinsville had a heart, it would give up its team nickname to the
Cahokia, IL, HS; Collinsville had no heart ) won every single
basketball game that they played against us, at home or away.

-Wilson