Virgin Mary image in Grilled Cheese Sandwich (now less OT)

sagehen sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM
Wed Nov 24 17:44:58 UTC 2004

>In Central NY we always ate toasted cheese sandwiches, which were put into
>the oven on low heat so the cheese gets good and runny.  I also heard
>grilled cheese, which would be cooked in a frying pan, but we didn't use
>that.  Melted-cheese sandwiches also rings a bell.
>
>Dale Coye
>The College of NJ
What we meant by "toasted cheese sandwich" in my childhood home was a
single piece of bread with slice of real cheese (not "American" or
"process") put under the broiler in the oven long enough to melt and brown
the cheese & toast the edges of the bread.
 "Grilled cheese" -- at least as supplied in cafes -- seems usually to mean
plastic cheese between two pieces of bread and briefly fried on the stove
top.
A. Murie