Virgin Mary image in Grilled Cheese Sandwich (now less OT)

Wed Nov 24 20:16:31 UTC 2004

On Nov 24, 2004, at 13:31, Michael Quinion wrote:
> the usual way of making it (at least in this household) is to
> toast the underside of the bread, put the cheese on top and heat it
> under the grill until the cheese melts.

No butter? Maybe it's to make up for using American cheese singles, but
the way I do grilled cheese (and learned it) is to butter both sides of
a slice of bread, put it on the griddle, put the cheese on the live
sizzling slice, butter a second piece on both sides, and then put that
one on top of the cheese. Turn it in a minute or two. This way you get
a nice golden brownness on even the blandest supermarket bread. Tastes
so good and fattening with real butter. Smells good, too. Everyone and
the cats come sniffing around.

So maybe the have the same ingredients, but I'd call "grilled cheese"
and "toasted cheese" separate menu items.

Grant Barrett