high five

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Wed Oct 6 14:27:19 UTC 2004

        I heard this version around 1994 in Boston, with a kindergarten teacher addressing a small child:

Hit me high [teacher held hand high, child slapped it]
Hit me low [teacher held hand low, child slapped it]
Hit me medium [teacher held hand in intermediate position, then pulled it away]
You're too slow!

        She then did it a second time and pulled her hand away more slowly, so that the child did slap her hand that time.  I've since taught the rhyme to my daughter, but I no longer have to pull my hand away more slowly to give her a chance; no matter how fast I try to pull it away, she's always quick enough!

John Baker