Re:       like loose change

Mon Oct 11 12:27:55 UTC 2004

In a message dated 10/11/04 3:42:10 AM, gorion at GMAIL.COM writes:

> like loose
> change

My take in this was that loose change rolls around and can be annoying and is
not worth very much. Girls in mini-skirts described this way would be
numerous, annoying, not worth very much, and appearing sort of mysteriously, the way
loose change does over the course of a week. Losing games like loose change
would mean that the players who are losing seem to have an attitude that games
aren't really all that important--and that, from the writer's persepective,
this is sort of mysterious and annoying and the losses are numerous.

I have no authority for this other than my own native-speaker intuitions
(well, I have spent a lot of time reading poetry and fiction, trying to interpret
similes and metaphors in literature classes, so perhaps I am being overly
literary here).