not in DARE?

Tue Oct 12 17:10:36 UTC 2004

 Wilson (Gray) replies to (Doug) Wilson:

        [DW:]

> In Japanese there is "mekuso" = "eye discharge or mucus"; "me" = "eye",
> "kuso" = "shit". Of course there's also "hanakuso" = "nasal discharge
> or snot" ("hana" = "nose"). I think many languages have this sort of word
> for these substances.

        [WG:]

Yes, I would expect that to be true. But I had in mind the specific
term, "catbutter," which makes no obvious sense - why "cat" and why
"butter"? - and is extremely limited in its use. Nevertheless, it seems
to find a kind of echo in German "augenbutter," which makes slightly
more sense, given that "augen-" at least means "eye-."

 <<<<<

As long as we're digging up this semantic field, don't forget "toejam",
meaning 'the yucky stuff you find between your toes when you take off your
shoes and socks at the end of the day'.

-- Mark
[This text prepared with Dragon NaturallySpeaking.]