Not in DARE?

Tue Oct 12 17:27:44 UTC 2004

>From Doug Wilson:

DARE shows "duck butter" (q.v.; there is also "goose butter") in the same
sense ("eye stuff"). Why "cat", "duck", "goose"? I don't know.

"Duck butter" of course means also (1) semen, (2) smegma. There is also
"gnat butter"; also "gnat bread".

Maybe the animal name is more or less arbitrary, or at least senseless in
its current choice. Maybe at one time there was some rationale for calling
one thing "cat butter" and another thing "duck butter" etc. but they got
confused over the years.

 <<<<<

How about taking "duck butter" more literally? Seems to me that the
substances Doug mentions bear a distinct resemblance to chicken fat, a.k.a.
schmaltz, familiar to most American Jews of Eastern European extraction (at
least within a generation or so after immigration) as a cooking ingredient.
Was duck fat or goose fat used in a similar way in other communities?

-- Mark A. Mandel
[This text prepared with Dragon NaturallySpeaking.]