prissy, 1842 (?)

Sam Clements SClements at NEO.RR.COM
Fri Oct 22 05:51:49 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Wilson Gray" <wilson.gray at RCN.COM>
To: <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Sent: Friday, October 22, 2004 12:37 AM
Subject: Re: prissy, 1842 (?)

> BTW, you may recall that Abrahams mentions that his informants could
> sing. That is an understatement. Those men constituted two
> nationally-known - among blacks, that is - singing groups. As the
> "Gladiolas," they recorded the original version of "Little Darling." As
> "Otis Williams and the Charms," they recorded the original version of
> "Stay," if there's anyone else old enough to remember.
>
> -Wilson Gray

 I'm old enough, and from Virginia/Carolina.

Otis Williams was distinct from Marice Williams.

 http://home.att.net/~uncamarvy/Charms/charms.html

Otis was NOT Maurice.

"Stay" was written and recorded by Maurice Williams.  If  you need refreshed
about their origins, read

http://www.tsimon.com/zodiac.htm

http://www.clarendontoday.com/Pages/011702/Clarendonlife/zodiacs.html

They were originally the "Royal Charms," but I can understand how time can
alter a memory.  My mom corrects me all the time about what I "remember."

I'm also old enough to remember "Annie had a baby/ can't work no more" by
Hank Ballard  and "Sixty Minute Man." By Billy Ward and the Dominoes.

Neat stuff

Sam Clements