putative bidialec talism

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Sat Oct 23 12:35:28 UTC 2004

I'm with Ron here; perghaps there is a John (Baugh) - John (Rickford)
confusion. John Baugh is not only authentically bidialectal (which he
even publicly performs from time to time) but has even been examined
acoustically (and found to be distinctive) in his imitations of
African-American, European-American, and Chicano accents in his work
on fair housing ("linguistic profiling").

dInIs

PS: Well, maybe one or two of those accents are not imitations, but
let's not get into imitation versus performance (yet).

--
Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor of Linguistics
preston at msu.edu