putative bidialec talism

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Sat Oct 23 15:01:24 UTC 2004

RonButters at AOL.COM said:
>In a message dated 10/22/04 5:15:32 PM, wilson.gray at RCN.COM writes:
>>  >

>>  My reference is to John Rickford. Once upon a time, I had a speaking
>>  acquaintance with John, but that was a while ago.  If you mentioned my
>>  name to him, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he replied that he had
>>  no idea who I am. IAC, I have heard him speak before various audiences
>>  and I've also chatted with him on a personal basis. I know nothing at
>>  all about Allan Metcalf. His name means nothing to me. I've never heard
>>  him speak a single syllable under any circumstances nor have I read
>>  anything by him. As a consequence, I am unable to voice an opinion of
>>  any kind regarding Mr./Dr./Prof. Metcalf.
>>
>>  Now, what is the point of your reply? That only your opinions based
>>  upon your experiences are the only valid ones? Or is it your claim that
>>  Rickford is unworthy of such praise?
>>
>>  -Wilson Gray
>>

>My point was first of all to find out if it was REALLY John Rickford who was
>being referred to here. My experience with John--formed over the past 20 or
>more years--is that I have never heard him speak with anything other than an
>identifiable Caribbean accent. (Walt Wolfram has never strayed too far from
>Philadephia accent, either, and Bill Labov would never be mistaken
>for someone from
>Atlanta).

Could Wilson be thinking of John Baugh? I've heard him switch
registers multiple times in the course of a single anecdote, quite
convincingly, to my non-AAVE-native ears.

Alice Faber                                             faber at haskins.yale.edu
Haskins Laboratories                                  tel: (203) 865-6163 x258
New Haven, CT 06511 USA                                     fax (203) 865-8963