Travellator; Giving Five (1874, American West via Mel Brooks)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Oct 25 00:23:18 UTC 2004

Barry's right. I've seen this movie, and beans really were a cause of flatulence in the 1870s.

JL

Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Bapopik at AOL.COM
Subject: Travellator; Giving Five (1874, American West via Mel Brooks)

Greetings from Changi Airport in Singapore. Three of the "free internet" stations here have blocked AOL.

TRAVELLATOR--The name for the moving walkway here. Is it a generic or a trade name?

GIVING FIVE--I watched Mal Brooks' BLAZING SADDLES again (on the plane). It takes place in 1874 in the American West. Cleavon Little returns to the railroad to check things out, telling his old buds that he now has a shiny star and a new job. He slaps "five" with the workers. Mel Brooks is historically accurate throughout this movie comedy, so I think this should be considered.