libercon

Dan Goodman dsgood at VISI.COM
Wed Sep 1 15:30:03 UTC 2004

Date:    Tue, 31 Aug 2004 06:59:54 -0400
From:    Terry Lynn Irons <t-irons at MOREHEAD-ST.EDU>
Subject: Libercon

Our dear friend Bill Safire has outted himself in his most recent column:

"I'm more of a new libercon than an old neocon, but such a determined
mind-set
on our time's paramount issue--of global safety in freedom--attracts me
to the
crowd in New Yori that points with pride at what we're doing rather than the
bunch in Boston that viewed with alarm all we've done."

Other than a few references to Canadian politics and a ranting blogger,
I have
been unable to find an origin.  And what exactly is a "libercon"?  A
reformed
liberal?

libertarian-conservative, I'd say, from what he said elsewhere in that
column.   I suspect it's his own invention.

Other new political terms:    At http://politicalwire.com, there are
links to "southpaws" and "wingers".    I've seen "winger" for
"rightwing" elsewhere on the net; and also "wrong-winger".

Digression:   In my area (South Minneapolis), there are no liberal or
conservative candidates -- at least, according to the campaign
literature which shows up in my mailbox.    Most often, the candidate is
"A social progressive and a fiscal conservative."    Or else  "A social
moderate and a fiscal conservative."

--
Dan Goodman
Journal http://www.livejournal.com/users/dsgood/ or