LES (Lower East Side);

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Wed Sep 1 03:19:41 UTC 2004

On Aug 31, 2004, at 11:40 AM, Mullins, Bill wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Mullins, Bill" <Bill.Mullins at US.ARMY.MIL>
> Subject:      Re: LES (Lower East Side);
> --------

I've heard that one, myself. Back in '58, when I was back in St. Louis
for a visit after I had moved to Los Angeles, My friends joked that the
LA that I had moved to was actually "Lower Alabama." As fate would have
it, my late father was a native of Moundville, but I think that's more
like "West-Central" than Lower.

Since the 'Fifties were back in the bad old days, most references to
Alabama by blacks were insults. For example, "Were you born in the
Bam?" was used in place of "Were you born in a barn?" A person stupid
beyond the call of duty was referred to as a "bama."

-Wilson Gray