APB: Non English Language Slang

Fri Sep 3 13:06:07 UTC 2004

Two other items worth investigating, which, again, are not
slang-specific but might contain mentions of other more appropriate
materials:

René Etiemble "Parlez-vous franglais ?" (Gallimard 1964, 1973, 1980,
1991). I haven't read this one. If you search BookFinder.com (choose
the French option and search for the title, not the author, since many
listings will not deal with the acute accent properly), there are many
copies available for cheap.

Claude Hagège "Le Souffle de la langue" (Odile Jacob, 2000). Deals with
language in the European Union. A decent read absent most of the
usually "English is destroying French" fear-mongering, which, I gather,
the book above suffers from. I'd look at other titles by Hagège, too.

Grant Barrett