"Raining Pitchforks" (1866)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Sep 7 05:50:17 UTC 2004

RAINING PITCHFORKS--142 Google hits,  39 Google Groups hits

"It's raining pitchforks and barn shovels."
It's raining hard.
HOW TO TALK AMERICAN (1997) by Jim Crotty, pg. 175.

I'm putting some of Crotty's stuff through the databases. Crotty gives this
as a "Quintessential Maine Expression." I've done some of the others
here--"rode hard and put up wet," for example--and they ain't from Maine.

Perhaps OED is interested in this for "rain" or "pitchfork." I have no idea
what the Historical Dictionary of American Slang or Yale Dictionary of
Quotations has.

(GOOGLE)
Colorful Regionalisms
... There's also 'since the earth was cooling' or 'since the dinosaurs walked
here.' My husband who was from Maine used to say it was 'raining pitchforks
and hammer ...
bit.listserv.dorothyl - Jan 24, 1998 by Marion Goodrich - View Thread (1
article)

Re: Literal translations fun
... I grew up on the East coast, and I haven't heard of it raining stair-rods
either; OTOH, I have heard of it raining pitchforks and axe handles. ---Bill
Vaughan
sci.lang - Aug 25, 1998 by Bill Vaughan - View Thread (17 articles)

things i noticed today....
... 10. Driving over the Newport bridge is a whole hell of a lot of fun in
high winds and rain. Yes, today in RI it is "raining pitchforks and nigger
babies". ...
alt.music.ska - Sep 30, 1999 by liz - View Thread (9 articles)

Re: ZZZ Why Does It Rain "Cats And Dogs"?
... Other colloquial expressions include 'it's raining pitchforks, or darning
needles or hammer handles or chicken coops' Love Domino
alt.sex.spanking - Dec 8, 1999 by domino - View Thread (10 articles)

Re: Terms from Yesteryear...
... everyone* has heard that one!" Or: 'Its raining bob-tailed heifers and
fence lifters !' [ raining hard enough to destroy fences.] "Raining pitchforks
and hoe ...
alt.callahans - Nov 7, 1997 by John Vinson - View Thread (234 articles)

Cat's & some history.
... It's raining cats and dogs' has been an expression in common use since
around the mid 1600's. A variation is known as 'it's raining pitchforks and
shovels'. ...
alt.religion.wicca - Sep 10, 1998 by Walksalone - View Thread (10 articles)

Re: WHOOOO HOOOOO GET UP AN SMOKE!!
Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake in a Fiamma di Re with fresh ground Galapagos
coffee. Raining pitchforks and hammer handles this morning. HOT DOG! ...
alt.smokers.pipes - Aug 29, 2004 by Kim Kocher - View Thread (19 articles)

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
   Morning Herald   Thursday, February 15, 1866 Titusville, Pennsylvania
...definition for a report la worse thau RAINING PITCHFORKS Hailing is a lady
of..

   Dixon Sun    Wednesday, January 22, 1873 Dixon, Illinois
...The feet. TUB next worst thing to RAINING PITCHFORKS Iliuling omnil mses..

 Indiana Democrat   Thursday, February 18, 1886 Indiana, Pennsylvania
...nor tho birds weren't singing. It, was RAINING PITCHFORKS and f woro n,
littlo..
 Saturday Herald    Saturday, April 24, 1886 Decatur, Illinois
...cabs is a common thing when it is RAINING PITCHFORKS. SllILOIl'S CUltE..

   Elyria Democrat  Thursday, December 01, 1887 Elyria, Ohio
...late. Get your things on. deal-, it's RAINING PITCHFORKS and the wind is..

   Trenton Times    Thursday, July 23, 1891 Trenton, New Jersey
...at nine o'clock, and though it was RAINING PITCHFORKS went to church
after..

 Iowa Citizen   Friday, December 11, 1891 Iowa City, Iowa
...the Atlantic _ ____ WHAT is worse than RAINING PITCHFORKS? Hailing
omnibusses..

   Delphos Daily Herald     Thursday, August 16, 1894 Delphos, Ohio
...has dropped 20 degrees, and it is RAINING PITCHFORKS. You predicted fair..

 Salem Daily News   Thursday, October 01, 1896 Salem, Ohio
...At ten o'clock, when hp to so, it was RAINING PITCHFORKS and grindstones.
my..

   Lafayette Advertiser     Wednesday, August 09, 1905 Lafayette, Louisiana

...enacted and Jones On Babies. It was RAINING PITCHFORKS and pine slabs
the..

   Trenton Evening Times    Saturday, December 12, 1908 Trenton, New Jersey

...We isy "Good day." though It may Be RAINING PITCHFORKS, an they say. We..

   Newport Daily News   Wednesday, January 13, 1954 Newport, Rhode Island
...House in the gathering dusk. It was RAINING PITCHFORKS, which meant that
it..
   Great Bend Daily Tribune     Sunday, October 30, 1960 Great Bend, Kansas

...was a bit of an understatement. It was RAINING PITCHFORKS, anchors,
gingham..