"Turd Ferguson" slang book; Indiana "Pitch-In Supper" (1923)

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Tue Sep 7 20:37:28 UTC 2004

On Sep 7, 2004, at 12:14 AM, Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

> [...]
> beer=20=
> cans.
> =E2=80=A2 Turd Ferguson: A social sore who decides things like
> exposing ones=
> elf in=20
> public or driving drunk are good ideas.
> =E2=80=A2 Vitamin N: Short for vitamin nicotine. Refers to having a
> cigarett=
> e first=20
> thing in the morning.
> =E2=80=A2 Vurp: When you burp but some vomit comes up, too. A very
> nasty exp=
> erience.   =20
>
>      =20
> (Pizza Bones? Me?...The HDAS has "dead soldiers" as the latest slang=20
> from...1899!--ed.)
>  =20
> -----=
> --
> INDIANA "PITCH-IN"
>  =20
> http://www.indystar.com/articles/7/172637-9237-047.html=20
> Indiana 'pitches in' with its own brand of slang terminology   =20
> August 24, 2004
> =20
> Hoosiers speak their own language. Here's a quick glossary of terms,
> courtes=
> y=20
> of the Indiana University Department of Linguistics.
>
> Pitch-in: A gathering where everyone contributes a dish to eat, known
> by the=
> =20
> rest of the English-speaking world as a potluck.
>
> Mango: Ha! You thought it was a tropical fruit. For some weird reason,
> a lot=
> =20
> of folks around Bloomington and Terre Haute use this word to describe
> a gree=
> n=20
> pepper.
>
> Toboggan: Nope, not a sled. To Hoosiers in the southern part of the
> state,=20
> this is a knit cap worn in winter.
>
> Nibnose: A nosey person. Can also be an adjective, e.g. "She's
> awfully=20
> nibbey."
>
> Giggin' (as opposed to gigging): Hunting frogs in order to eat frog
> legs.
>
> Sweep the carpet: Vacuum the carpet.
>
> Cheese toasty: Fort Wayne-speak for a grilled-cheese sandwich.
>
> Hoosier: There are hundreds of stories about where the word comes
> from, but=20
> it's most widely believed to have originated in the Appalachian
> Mountains as=
>  a=20
> pejorative term for an unrefined, country roughneck. Turns out a lot
> of nati=
> ve=20
> Indiana people's ancestors migrated here from Virginia and West
> Virginia. In=
> =20
> St. Louis, hoosier is still pretty much an insult

"Very much an insult" is more like it. A lot of white people in St.
Louis consider "hoosier" to be easily the equivalent of "nigger,"
despite the fact that black people in St. Louis have never referred to
white people that way. Well, that's probably irrelevant, given that
it's very difficult for the bottoms to find a way to hurt the feelings
of the tops. I've heard "Missouri hoosier" as well as the simple form
used by white people from Southern Illinois and I've heard "hoojie," an
obvious variant of "hoosier," occasionally used by black people from
Little Egypt (Cairo, IL, and environs). In general, though, among black
Americans, once you've said that a person is white, all that needs to
be said has been said.

-Wilson Gray