two queries: bobwire, know the score

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Sat Sep 11 18:56:29 UTC 2004

On Sep 11, 2004, at 1:29 PM, Arnold M. Zwicky wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Arnold M. Zwicky" <zwicky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU>
> Subject:      two queries: bobwire, know the score
> --------
>
> thanks to having written on reanalytic malapropisms (a.k.a. eggcorns)
> on Language Log, i collect rather a lot of e-mail about particular
> examples.  most recently, "bobwire" and "know the score".
>
> "bobwire" is an old familiar to me.  i assume "barbed wire" > "barb
> wire", by the usual t/d participle deletion, and then "barb" > "bob"
> via a non-rhotic variety.  but i was surprised not to see it in DARE.
> did i somehow miss it, or is it just too widespread to count as
> regional?

FWIW, wrt widespread, "Bob Weyer" is a character in the pun-filled
cartoon strip, "Rick O'Shay," which Stan Lynde, a native of Montana,
has been drawing since 1958.

<http://www.oldmontana.com/comics.html>

And, of course, in the Golden Age of Horse Opera, movies often had
story lines featuring cowboys vs. bobwire-using "sheep herders," as
well as the stereotypical cowboys-&-Indians and black-Stetson vs.
white-Stetson story lines.

-Wilson Gray