"You don't win the silver, you lose the gold" (1996)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Sep 19 18:10:42 UTC 2004

DON'T WIN THE SILVER + LOSE THE GOLD--92 Google hits, 102 Google Groups hits

This began with a NIKE ad for the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta. It seems to have
become an Olympic proverb--something we don't have a lot of. Many people don't
like it, though.

(GOOGLE NEWS)
Thrills and spills of `murderball'
Advertiser, Australia - Sep 2, 2004
... "There's a saying that you don't win silver, you lose gold, but on
reflection I'm pretty proud to have that silver medal in the cupboard. ...

(GOOGLE)
Second Place Loses
... advert, aired during a recent Olympic Games (cannot remember which one)
summed it
up with the following slogan: You don't win the silver. You lose the gold.
c2.com/cgi/wiki?SecondPlaceLoses - 3k - Cached - Similar pages

Click on any Program from th li
... lose an election or in the billboard displayed at the Atlanta Olympic
Games a few
years ago: “You don’t win the silver medal, you lose the gold.” As in ...
www.mts.net/~wpucwpg/apr0404.htm - 19k - Cached - Similar pages

Rave On: postcards from Slow Trains
... and Nike had it right when they had that ad a few years back that got
pulled for
not being PC -- "You don't win the silver, you lose the gold." If I have to
www.slowtrains.com/rave_on/ 2002_02_01_rave_on_archive.html - 15k - Cached -
Similar pages

MotheringDotCommune Forums - I have another gripe with the Olympic ...
... dolphinkisser. Do you remember the Nike commercial in the last summer
olympics where
the slogan was " You don't win the silver. You lose the gold." I can't ...
www.mothering.com/discussions/ archive/index.php/t-184307.html - 16k - Cached
- Similar pages

[PDF] The Peninsula Clover
File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
Your browser may not have a PDF reader available. Google recommends visiting
our text version of this document.
... VICTORY IS IN THE PURSUIT 292.1 During the 1996 Olympics, a popular Nike
ad sent
the message, "You don't win the silver, you lose the gold." And the sentiment
clallam.wsu.edu/4-h/Mar03.pdf - Similar pages

TDN-ee, Sports News Page 2 ,January 20, 2000
... The IOC takes a swipe at the advertising line "You don't win the silver,
you lose the gold" that sneaker marketer Nike used in 1996. ...
www.turkishdailynews.com/ old_editions/01_20_00/Sport2.htm - 35k - Cached -
Similar pages

(GOOGLE GROUPS)
Olympic commercial
There is a NIKE commercial airing during the Olympics that makes this
statement: "You don't win the silver, you lose the gold". ...
rec.arts.tv - Jul 21, 1996 by Jody Sorensen - View Thread (1 article)