Speaking of "gay," etc.

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Wed Sep 22 19:00:02 UTC 2004

DARE has the word "doofunny," etc. with the same meaning as
"doohickey," etc. In BE, however, "do-funny," as I've always imagined
the "correct" spelling to be, means "gay male" and nothing else.
"Funny" alone can also mean "gay," or, as part of the phrase, "funny
that way," its only meaning is "gay." I didn't find it in HDAS.

On the other hand, HDAS does have "dookie" and DARE doesn't. Until very
recently, when I heard it used by adults on the Jerry Springer show, I
thought that dookie was a children's "bad word" used only in East
Texas. Needless to say, I was surprised to see it in HDAS. Either the
word has spread far and wide since the '40's or my never having heard
the word used outside of East Texas until a couple of years ago was a
complete accident.

-Wilson Gray