YMCA a "gay" anthem?

Elaine Ashton eashton at MAC.COM
Thu Sep 23 09:23:54 UTC 2004

> From: RonButters at AOL.COM
> Date: 22 September, 2004 21:04:07 EEST
> Subject: YMCA a "gay" anthem?
>

> This seems to imply that everything "gay" is X-rated (or at least
> R-rated),
> which is certainly not true, even of athletic events (witness the Gay
> Games).
>
> In a message dated 8/26/04 7:33:06 PM, JJJRLandau at AOL.COM writes:
>>

>> If [YMCA] is indeed a gay song, why is it played so often in what
>> should be
>> G-rated situations such as baseball games?  There can't be enough gay
>> disk
>> jockeys
>> in this country to play that song as often as it gets played.
>>
>>     - Baffled in South Jersey   (aka Jim Landau)

Gay has so many different uses and applications these days it has
become hackneyed and dull. I don't think it's possible to make gay
X-anything.

YMCA...I think you'll have to go back to the history of disco and when
this song originally came out to understand how it came to be a popular
song in the homosexual community and why a song sung by 5 guys in
costume [all of which are overly masculine, e.g. cop, plumber] might be
having impure thoughts about those boys down at the christian mens'
association. Don't worry though, it hasn't been proven to cause gayness
in children who listen to it too much.
It has the same meaning in Finland and they don't even have a YMCA.

Just be glad they didn't pick Dancing Queen by ABBA. :)

e..