dookie

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Thu Sep 23 18:57:44 UTC 2004

On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 11:45:18AM -0700, Arnold M. Zwicky wrote:

> i don't have "dookie" , so i'm trying to figure out its syntax.  above
> it's used as a count noun (like "turd"), and similarly in "dookies" for
> "Dukies".  but HDAS glosses it as 'excrement', which suggests a mass
> use (like the most common uses of "shit") as well.  is this possible?
> things like, "gross, there's dookie all over the floor"?

In my ideolect I only have it as a mass noun, and HDAS defined it
thus, with 'excrement' as the def, based on the evidence it had.
But there is clear evidence of count-noun use (Google for "take a
dookie", for example), so if I were defining it now for OED, which
I am in fact doing, I'd want to include 'a turd' and 'an act of
defecation' in the entry.

Jesse Sheidlower