"last stitch effort"

Thu Sep 23 21:16:30 UTC 2004

On Sep 23, 2004, at 1:39 PM, Wilson Gray asked me about eggcorns:

> Arnold, do you have "supposably" already? It's *very* common in BE.

i didn't have it in my files, but it turns out to be in paul brians's
inventory of common errors in english.  many google hits, many of them
pretty clearly not from BE.  there's even a sort of famous cite from
Friends:

Chandler: What if I never find someone? Or worse, what if I've found
her, but
  I dumped her because she pronounced it ‘supposably?’.

> How
> about "artificial insimilation"?

totally new to me, not in any of the standard lists, and no google hits
at all (web or groups).  contrast this to "inclimate weather", which is
pretty common.

wilson, do you have some actual cites?

arnold