SUX

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Mon Sep 27 14:43:00 UTC 2004

>OK, I'm old enough.

>I'm with Ron in this case (oh rarity!) in pointing to non-fellatio
>pejorative "sucks", and not just those associated with "sucker,'
>(i.e., one easily taken in).

One  such usage, which dates to my early sporting life (basketball,
football, baseball - that kind of sporting life) had to do with the
out-of-shape kid who was left behind sucking wind (or air), surely a
non-sexual a reference to gasping and always clearly negative.

I suspect such usage may have given rise to some more etymologically
mysterious expressions of my youth (e.g., "Your ass sucks wind" often
with the elaborate addition of "through a sissy-stick") [NB: Us
he-boys of the Louisville area has a grade-school usage of "sissy"
which had no sexual overtones, though a deeper look at it would
reveal homophobic undercurrents; a "sissy-stick," by the way, was a
straw; something a girl would drink from; a real he-boy would swig
soft drink out of a bottle, of course.]

On the other hand, I do not doubt at all the contamination of other
pejorative "sucks:" with oral sex "sucks," but, like Ron, I think we
should be careful of jumping to this conclusion.

dInIs

PS: I haven't said "Your ass sucks wind through a sissy stick for
more than fifty years. Thanks for the opportunity to remember.

--
Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor