Splib

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Tue Sep 28 12:54:35 UTC 2004

In a message dated  Mon, 27 Sep 2004 13:27:40 -0400,
 "Dennis R. Preston" <preston at MSU.EDU> writes:

>  Look like the old /hw/-/w/ jumped up. It bit me the other day. I was
>  out in the garden working and bitching and carrying on about how hard
>  I had it, etc... My neighbor said " You want some cheese and crackers
>  to go  with that wine." Luckily my pragmatic organizer took over, and
>  I had to figure out why what he said make sense. Finally, of course,
>  I got to his "wine" - "whine" homophony.

It's an old Jewish joke:
     What's a JAP's (Jewish-American Princess's) favorite wine?
     "Why can't we go to Miami this year?"

I pronounce "wh" as /w/ and don't even hear /hw/ when someone uses it.  I do
remember elementary school teachers trying to teach us that "wh" is pronounced
/hw/ but I don't recall any of my classmates taking this seriously.

Born and raised in the "Highlands" (East End) section of Louisville, near
Bowman Field.

      - Jim Landau