lol (was: Re: /wh/ - /w/)

Wed Sep 29 17:59:10 UTC 2004

Marsha Alley <MARSHAALLEY at MSN.COM> writes:

Right now I'm in Sutherlin, [hwich, lol] is just north of Roseburg.
 <<<<<

I'm curious about what you mean by "lol". I picked that up as
e-mail/Internet language for "laughing out loud", along with "rotfl" for
"rolling on the floor laughing", and I have been used to using them only for
when I am actually laughing out loud or, respectively, uncontrollably,
though not actually falling off my chair.

You, on the other hand, seem to be using it about as equivalent to a :-),
indicating just that you're making a little joke here. Please understand, my
intention is not to criticize! We seem to be having a linguistic change in
progress here. A friend of my wife's scatters "LOL" and "ROTFL" through her
e-mails the way I shake pepper on my eggs, almost all over.

-- Mark A. Mandel
[This text prepared with Dragon NaturallySpeaking.]