aunt/ant

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIOU.EDU
Wed Sep 29 19:04:18 UTC 2004

Oops, let's be careful when we talk about "backwoodsy" vs. "normal" rural
(whatever that means).  A very sophisticated grad student of mine from
Tennessee [tIn at si] spoke of his Aunt Jane using "ain't" [ent].  And the 'u'
in "aunt" isn't pronounced, is it?  Unless you're suggesting a diphthong in
"Auwnt Sadie"?  Rather, "aunt" is pronounced with the /a/ of "father,"
right?  (In fact, my father, a fussy old-timer, insisted on it; a
Minnesotan, he was taught by a New England schoolmarm who of course used
the /a/.  Minnesota is still divided in its pronunciation of this word, and
rural/urban, educated/uneducated, black/white, older/younger are not
determining factors, as far as I can tell.)