lol

Marsha Alley MARSHAALLEY at MSN.COM
Wed Sep 29 19:29:11 UTC 2004

Ah, context is everything!  Actually, since the discussion I was horning in on was in regard to /wh/ - /w/, I was being silly in spelling "which" as "hwitch" so y'all could hear how I was saying it - I was chuckling to myself at my supposed cleverness, which only got me misunderstood!  Alas.....humor in email is the proverbial slippery slope.

Marsha Alley
/living in obscurity and happy for it

  Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU<mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>>
  Poster:       Sally Donlon <sod at LOUISIANA.EDU<mailto:sod at LOUISIANA.EDU>>
  Subject:      Re: lol

  My take on LOL, in regard to Marsha's useage ("...in
  Sutherlin, [hwich, lol] is just north of Roseburg.") makes
  perfect sense to me in the "laughing out loud" sense, unless
  I've mistaken her meaning.

  Seems to me that she is commenting on the use of one obscure
    community to locate another obscure community. Maybe this
  is only really funny to folks who live in the boonies...

  And maybe I've misunderstood her.

  sally donlon