aunt/ant

Barbara Need nee1 at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU
Wed Sep 29 20:40:00 UTC 2004

I'm mostly in the "ant" (i.e. [aent]) camp, born in Tennessee (Oak
Ridge) and lived the next nine years near Cleveland, OH. When I moved
to Andover, MA, my fourth grade spelling teacher, who had asked what
we did over the summer, said "You mean "awnt" [ant], when I said we
had gone to visit my [aent] in Colorado.

I still use [aent] to refer to my aunts and prefer to be [aent]
Barbara, even for my New Englander nephews. However, I did notice
myself announcing once that I was going to be an aunt again with an
unexpectedly back vowel (not quite /a/). I only noticed it because my
audience was Chicago born and bred and didn't understand me.

Barbara