aunt/ant

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIOU.EDU
Wed Sep 29 21:11:06 UTC 2004

And one more anecdote:  When I was at the Stanford LSA institute way back
in '87, I overheard a little African American girl talking with a white
friend (obviously bosom buddies, maybe 8 years old).  She mentioned her
aunt [ant], then quickly "translated" it for her friend as [aent]--quite
aware, like Barbara, that the other girl might not understand her otherwise!

My own family goes back and forth on the two forms; I use [aent] now in the
Midland, but my brother and sister still use [ant]; my nieces are mixed;
and so on.