aunt/ant

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Thu Sep 30 18:55:55 UTC 2004

On Sep 30, 2004, at 10:13 AM, Mullins, Bill wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Mullins, Bill" <Bill.Mullins at US.ARMY.MIL>
> Subject:      Re: aunt/ant
> --------
>
> I grew up in Nashville, and have heard Black usage as:  Auntee
> (on-TEE).

Yeah, that's right. That form is used in Texas, too, especially when
talking to chirrun (very often hypercorrected to "childring"; in fact,
you can hear this latter form in the song, "Since I Lost My Baby," by
the Temptations): "Come heah, chile, 'n' say hello to yo auntie!" and,
as Bill indicates, the "standard" pronunciation is a drawled [an ti],
as though the two syllables were two different words, so that the [i]
is not reduced to [I], as would otherwise be expected.

-Wilson