"Is the Pope (a) Catholic?" (1963);

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Apr 5 21:46:39 UTC 2005

"DILLIGAF?"

and

"DILLIGAS?"

were already acronymical thirty years ago.

JL

"Rex W. Stocklin" <stocklin at EARTHLINK.NET> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: "Rex W. Stocklin"
Subject: Re: "Is the Pope (a) Catholic?" (1963);

At 7:36 AM -0700 4/3/05, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

>What I've heard :
>
>Is the Pope Catholic ?

My mom swears by "Is the Pope a Polock" (well, he WAS, but that will
prolly be soon rendered not so.)

>Does a bear shit in the woods ?
>
>Does a cat have a climbing gear ?
>
>Is a pig's ass pork ?
>
>Does a rocking horse have a wooden dick ?

I've heard also "Does a one-legged duck swim in circles?"

> And my favorite, for negative answers only,
>
>Does a chicken have lips ?

Many of them parental sarcasm, How about:

"Does money grow on trees?"

"Are your socks going to pick themselves up?"

"Am I talking to a brick wall?"

"Are your hands broken?"

"Were you born in a barn?"

"You have an answer for everything, don't you?"

"What am I, chopped liver?"

"Do I LOOK like someone who cares" (and the "gives" variants, "a
flying fuck," "a damn," "a shit," "rat's ass" etc. I'm sure a whole
thread can be devoted to all of its permutations.)

"Did you think I was born yesterday?" (admittedly not strictly
conforming, tho AS sarcastic)

"Do you think I'm made of money?" (ditto)

And the groundbreaking one that ultimately proved that you don't sass
back to the Almighty:

"Am I my brother's keeper?"

Lexy Rexy
Fishers, IN