Lighter lid

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Sat Apr 9 02:44:04 UTC 2005

On Apr 7, 2005, at 12:00 PM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Lighter lid
> --------
>
> My recollection of Hatlo's oeuvres is far less vivid.  All I can
> remember is the Hatlo hat and that Iodine wore a red ponytail with a
> big bow.
>
> She was kind of like "Little Lulu," but more working-class, IIRC.
>
> JL

Little Lulu had a fat constant companion called "Tubby." She also
appeared in ads for Kleenex and appeared in animated cartoons. As far
as I know, the Hatlo people never appeared in an animated cartoon or in
any ads.

Does anyone remember when "constant companion" was the polite locution
for the man or the woman with whom a person of note enjoyed a close
personal, i.e. sexual, relationship?

-Wilson