Wimp (1919) (different sense?)

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Mon Apr 11 02:44:30 UTC 2005

Here is another example of "wimp" apparently = "bozo"/"guy" ... in this
case emphatically NOT "chicken"/"coward".

_Sandusky Star-Journal_ (Sandusky OH), 6 March 1919: p. 12(?):

<<Next to the man who is brave enough to go to a dance without wearing
suspenders we believe the party entitled to the Croix de Guerre is the wimp
who eats roasted chestnuts in the dark.>>

I don't know that I understand the joke here: was there danger of hot
charcoal pieces among the nuts, or what?

-- Doug Wilson