American Sign Language---query

Wed Apr 13 12:52:25 UTC 2005

This discussion revives a question I've had for a
number of years.  Why is it called American Sign
Language - why is it tied to American culture and
language?  It seems to me a true sign language would
transcend cultural boundaries and be independent of
spoken or written language.  Can ASL be used to
communicate in other lands, even other English
speaking lands, or does each country or culture "X"
have its own "X"SL?