In ordinary conversation: dromaeognathous

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Apr 14 01:47:47 UTC 2005

At 1:39 PM -0400 4/13/05, RonButters at AOL.COM wrote:
>  Erin's Weird and Wonderful Word of the Day:
>
>  dromaeognathous
>  [drah-mee-AGG-nuh-thus]
>  having a palate like than of an emu. This is such a wonderful word that it's
>a shame that most people would have to work extremely hard to wangle this
>into conversation. In fact, it may be impossible.
>
>How about, "Judging from what I saw on the video, Paris Hilton is more than a
>little dromaeognathous"?

Actually, I think it's more useful as an insult.  Assuming an emu (or
an ostrich, which apparently is similarly referenced by the term) is
not known for a particularly sophisticated palate, I can imagine
serving you up a platter of my finest purée veloutée of eel liver
garnished with chipotle-encrusted jellyfish and foam of sea cucumber,
and when you wrinkle your nose I get to reprimand you for your
inveterate dromaeognathosity.

Larry