Another one

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Sun Apr 24 02:37:24 UTC 2005

I'm one more native Texan not familiar with this expression, but I am
familiar with the tool called a "post-hole digger" and with toads.
Toads don't live underground. But, if they did, they'd have to live
below a certain depth, lest they be struck with a post-hole digger (the
tool) wielded by a post-hole digger (the man using the tool). A toad
struck by or caught up in a post-hole digger would certainly be
mortally wounded, if not killed outright. So, if there was such a thing
as a post-hole toad, such a toad living deeper under the surface than
the deepest reach - two or three feet, perhaps? - of a post-hole digger
would be as safe as home in bed with the covers over its head. Anything
even deeper than a post-hole toad is not something that anyone needs to
concern himself with or be concerned by.

Naturally, the above is just a WAG.

-Wilson Gray