The Last "Mohican"?

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Wed Aug 10 18:40:55 UTC 2005

I was afraid of that my making such a distinction was one the cases in
which a dialect preserves a feature lost from the standard language.
When I was younger, I knew (black) people who  pronounced "deaf" as
"deef," the same as the (white) Kentucky hill-country characters in the
comic strip, Li'l Abner. It had the virtue of keeping "deaf" [dif]
separate from "death" [dEf].

An On-Language article written while Safire was on vacation touched on
this, suggesting that the BE slang term, "def," was really only a
"phonetic" respelling of the "country" BE pronunciation of "death,"
ultimately extracted from such phrases as "cat be death [dEf] on mice"
and influenced by sE "def" from "definitely."

-Wilson Gray