Re: † † † Re: New coinage ?

Fri Aug 12 15:58:04 UTC 2005

On Aug 10, 2005, at 5:45 PM, Ron Butter wrote:

> In a message dated 8/9/05 1:44:51 PM, zwicky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU writes:
>
>> a few more
>> citations of "baby-kiss" and "name-call", and i'll probably start
>> finding them more and more acceptable.
>>
> Here are a few from Google to get you on your way:

these are not all of the same sort.

> His heart began to race again and he baby-kissed her snowy neck. He
> slipped
> his arms around her waist and pulled her closer...

this is a different sort of ("manner") compound, meaning 'kiss the
way one kisses babies'.  it's a transitive verb, while the N-V
compound Vs we've been talking about are (normally) intransitive.

> ... are attending orientation for their respective chambers, a sort
> of "Congress 101" for the men and women who just hand-shook,
> mudslung and baby-kissed their way

now *this* is the sort of N-V compound V we were talking about.

> Who wants their hand shook and baby kissed by a chuckle-head? ...

this one's not a compound at all, but a syntactic combination of
object N and V, as in "Who wants their baby kissed by a chuckle-
head?"  search engines bring up all sorts of things.

> ... He accepted and she got on her knees and slid down his pants
> and baby
> kissed his stomach and in a circular motion and sucked on his balls
> one at a time. ...

the manner-type compound again.

> With that, Irena went in and baby kissed her lover's lips. Several
> kisses and
> then her tongue squirmed out to lick the moistened folds. ...

and again.