"Pulling a (Judge) Crater"

bapopik at AOL.COM bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Aug 19 13:14:25 UTC 2005

PULLING A (JUDGE) CRATER
Someone has died, and long-lost details into the mysterious August 6 (my birthday, of course), 1930 disappearance of Judge Crater have surface. It's on page one of the New York Post. "The Big Apple" made page 35.
It's said that "pulling a crater" was slang. Any citations?
OFF TOPIC: THE CAMPAIGN
It's been a humiliating week, just as it's been all my life. I need $30,000 to qualify for matching funds. I need $250 from people in NYC for the 4-1 match. I can give myself some of that, but I need contributions.
A New York Sun article said that the winner of the Democratic primary "wins the office." This presumably was an improvement of the same writer's "will sail through." I wrote in that a primary is not a general election, and of course, that wasn't published. A Village Voice "Manhattan Borough President" article didn't even mention me. A Metro article didn't mention me. A League of Women Voters debate didn't include me, and I was told that the good league will probably not hold a general election debate. A Parks1 forum didn't invite me. An Inwood Runners forum didn't invite me. Mayor Bloomberg is walking through Harlem this week--I wasn't invited, but we're on the same ticket. I went to a Young Republican Club meeting; other candidates were announced, but not me. Even a Democrat was announced (Public Advocate candidate Jay Golub, Republican turned Democrat, managed by the club's founder).
I held my first Met Club fundraiser last night. It's the only local Republican Club in Manhattan with a building. After great pressure, they finally gave me an e-mail announcement to the members (who have been already tapped out by the local city council candidates). My event wasn't given a one-day reminder like the other candidates were (how difficult is it to send e-mail these days??). One person (now living in Albany!) from the Met Club showed up. One. I guess he wasn't given the Popik warning to stay away.
My website got 5,300 hits the other day, but you can't give money to me, because no web designer can help me (even for pay).
After a big mailing, I got two envelopes. One envelope contained $5. There's not even an amount on my contribution card for $5. The other envelope was stamped by the postal service that it was delivered empty....