Get Your X On!

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Aug 24 18:06:54 UTC 2005

On 8/19/05, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Get Your X On!
>
> Am definitely on the "get your X on" tip.
>
> "Get your groove on" may be the instigating phrase.
>
> JL

What about "get one's habits on" from at least the '50's? That's the
oldest documentable example of this form that I know of. I would pin
it down, but I managed to blow up my unbacked-up hard drive and I
haven't had time to restock my data base. In any case, it occurs in
the R&B song, "I Don't Know," by Willie Mabon.

-Wilson Gray

--
-Wilson Gray