"Lawn and Order"

Michael McKernan mckernan at LOCALNET.COM
Wed Aug 31 15:11:13 UTC 2005

A reference to a film available through the National Film Board of Canada
brought to my attention (as title of the film) the phrase "Lawn and Order."

A google search produced over 700 hits.  In addition to the film, it was
also the title of an exhibit in Toronto (and perhaps travelling, as well as
a number of newspaper articles, etc.  This set of usages seems to be
concerned with 'lawn ornaments' as cultural phenomena.

In addition, the phrase seems to be in use in connection with
gardening/landscaping articles, and perhaps other topics, in USA perhaps
even more than Canada.

Surely derived from 'law and order,' possibly following the popular
television series, but of course 'law and order' substantially predates
that production.

What interests me about the phrase is how clumsy it sounds, to my ear, and
to my vocal tract as I try to say it.  While it appears reasonably 'clever'
in print, when vocalized it seems just the opposite (IMHO).

If this were ever phrase were ever to gain vocalized currency, would it be
likely to be subjected to elision (as in Law'n Order)?  Does it seem
reasonable that an elided pronunciation was the original intent?

For whatever reason, I'm unable to read 'lawn and order' with elision,
unless I force myself to do it.  So as it exists in print form, I find it
downright unpleasant to read, and to say.  Nor do I feel comfortable with
the elided form.

Any comments?

Michael McKernan